Seeking Silence in a Noisy World - A Restless Heart

If you are anything like me, the idea of slowing down may seem foreign.  I'm not just talking about sports, activities, school/work, and all of the other things we fill our schedules with.  I'm also talking about the constant "need" to look down at our cell phone to see if we received a text.  Checking facebook to see what new things come up on our news feed.  Getting distracted by the ads and quizzes on facebook.  Or the snap chat streaks that we "have to" maintain.  Watching youtube videos.  Listening to music.  The list goes on.

I am no different.  I distract myself by looking up the latest news articles, checking facebook, and do other things to pass time.  In fact, while writing this post, I have distracted myself looking up how to treat back pain, facebook, and looked up personal financial information.  The struggle to not only do one thing at a time, but to experience silence and solitude, has become a serious challenge in our society, not only for children, but also for many adults (not excluding myself).  One thing I have heard from others on this subject is the question, what if I miss out on something?

There is a constant pressure coming from our culture that says we need be aware of everything right away.  I love the story in Exodus 14, when the Israelites are trapped between the Egyptians and the Red Sea.  The Israelites are worried they will die.  Moses tells the people, "Do not be afraid...The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still."  The Israelites didn't trust that God would pull through.  A feeling I can sometimes experience.  Yet Moses reminds them, God will take care of us.

It can be so difficult to find a time and be willing to slow down.  It can be hard to seek silence and stillness.  Peter, one of Jesus' disciples, tells us in 1 Peter 4:7, that "the end of all things is near.  Therefore, be sober-minded for the sake of your prayers."  This idea of being sober-minded, I believe goes beyond drinking too much.  A different word I think of is clear.  Be "clear-minded" for the sake of your prayers.  In other words, keep your focus.

Related image

When I think about the Junior High group I led this year, I can't help but remember the times when it was seemed impossible for our group to focus.  Conversations would go everywhere but what we were talking about.  Yet when I went to some of the students sporting events, their focus was on point.  They were constantly working to get better.  They were always maintaining an awareness of what was going on around them.  If they slipped up, they quickly redirected their attention back to the game.  I believe this is what God calls us to do.

How important is this in our walk with Christ?  How often do we like my Junior High small group, get distracted by everything in this world, except our relationship with God? 

Daniel was a man who truly loved God.  At one point in his story, the Bible says that three times a day he would be alone, praying to God.  Three times a day?!?!?!  I sometimes struggle to spend time with God once a day.  Yet Daniel saw the importance of spending this time alone with God: In prayer and meditation.

Jesus too teaches us how to do this well.  His whole ministry was spent serving.  He always made time though, to meet alone with His Father.  After dismissing crowds he would spend time with him, even away from his disciples.  Right before he was captured and crucified, he spent hours praying.  This time alone with the Father was the time he gained his energy and vision for the next events which would take place.

In all honesty though, the idea of being alone can at times seem frightening and strange.  I'm supposed to sit still and no do anything for a while?  Not at all.  The idea of sitting still isn't for the purpose of not doing anything, but for the purpose of reconnecting with your Father.  Your Almighty God.

This past week, on a park bench in the middle of Rockford MI, I sat down, closed my eyes and reflected.  At first, it felt really awkward.  When a lady came and sat next to me, it made it even more awkward.  Yet what an amazing experience it was though.  With the sound of the waterfall removing all other distracting noises, I had the opportunity to experience God in a way I hadn't in a long time.  There was something sobering about the experience of silence and stillness.  No need to move around, no need to have a conversation with anyone else.  Just me and Jesus.  I spent time reflecting on life, running through the truth of scripture in my head as the Spirit reminded me, and just enjoying the peace and quiet with the Creator of the world.

This experience happens way to infrequently for me.  I have found in my life, that when I don't take this time to be alone with God, and be still, I begin getting restless.  My heart begins to feel empty.  When I experience this time alone with God, I feel rejuvenated and excited for the next day.  The fears and restlessness I felt go away.  Not to say all my problems go away, but I begin having a peace, knowing that God is with me. (Rush of Fools - Peace Be Still

God desires to meet with us.  He is inviting us to seek Him through silence in this noisy world.  Will you accept this invitation?  What would it look like for you this week, even for a half hour, to turn your phone on silent, remove all of the distractions from your life, being still and experiencing silence?  Spend time alone with your Creator and Father.  Listen.  Reflect.  Pray.  Meditate.

I truly hope you make time at some point this week to reflect.  Whether you are single, married, or anywhere in between.  Peace be with you as you experience this time alone with God.

Comments