Faith Like a Child

"...Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."  Luke 18:16

I really like this verse.  Jesus had just finished telling a parable about two men when this verse came up.  To give us a little context, these two men went to the temple to pray.  One man came to the temple boasting about his accomplishments to God, thanking God that he wasn't like the criminals and sinners.  The other one though, came, remaining at a distance, recognizing and confessing his sins before God.  Jesus says, the one who came confessing his sins and humbling himself, is the one who left justified and will be exalted.  He is the one who understands what the kingdom of God is about.

After that, people began bringing their children to Jesus, for him to touch them, maybe thinking this special touch will do something incredible for their child.  When the disciples recognized this, they began rebuking them.  Jesus though, called the children to himself.  He said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.  Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter."

This seems strange and very intense.  What does it mean to have the faith of a child?  What does it mean to receive the kingdom of God like a child? 

Related image

To me, it seems like a child on Christmas day.  You know, they wake up at 4:00 in the morning, come running down the stairs.  They turn the corner, excited to see all of the presents that are under the tree.  A grin stretched across their face from ear to ear.  As they open each gift, the wrapping paper goes flying through the air.  They wait in anticipation, anxious to see what they received.  I think it's the simplicity of a child.  Not over analyzing everything, trying to figure out the meanings of the most difficult questions like, "should I ask this girl on a date?"  Going through it over and over in your mind for days, weeks, and even months before finally making a decision.

I think the biggest thing Jesus wants us to get though is the trust and dependence a child has in their parents.  Children may not always agree or like what their parents say, but if they have parents who truly care about them, they know they are loved and protected by them.  If there is a storm, who is the first person they go to?  Their mom or dad.  They go to the person who takes care of them.

I think this is the invitation that Jesus invites us into.  He wants us to be excited to receive the gift he has to offer us, just like a child on Christmas day.  Like the wrapping paper flying through the air, its the paper from his words flipping over and over as we search his words, looking intently through it to see what gift it is he has given to us.  He doesn't want us to overthink what this means.  We have been forgiven because of him, it doesn't get anymore complicated.  So go out and tell others like you would if you just opened the Christmas gift you were waiting for.

I also think he wants us to run to him during the storms of life, because we know that He is bigger than anything we can face.  There is no monster in our closet that he can't scare away.  There is no "boo-boo" we can get that he can't heal.  There is no thunder to loud or tornado too powerful that he can't protect us from.  There is no bully so big that he can't defeat.  Like a father here on earth, he is our protector.  He is our strength.  He is our comforter, who wipes the tears from our eyes and sits us up on his lap, tightly grabbing around us, giving us security during the overwhelming moments we don't think we will ever get through.  He's the first one we run to, both in joy and in pain.  He picks us up and carries us, when we are too tired to walk anymore.  When we are too tired to continue, he picks us up, letting us get the rest we need.

For those who believe in him, he is our daddy.

Thank you that I can call you daddy.  Thank you for being bigger than my biggest fears, stronger than my biggest bullies, and more comforting than any hard thing I will go through in life.  Help me to have the faith of a child.  When the storms around me come up, help me to remember to run to you first.  When something in life goes well, remind me to thank you, and celebrate the amazing gift you have given me.  Help me to remember to tell everyone about this awesome gift that I unwrapped in your word, that you died for me, so I can be with you.  Thank you that you don't hold my mistakes against me and if I come and confess them to you, you forgive me.  Help me remember how wide, long, high and deep your love for me is.  Amen!

Picture retrieved from https://ldsbookstore.com/simon-dewey-ye-are-the-light-of-the-world-print

Comments